A full-fibre national broadband network would have cost much more, possibly as much as an extra $40 billion, but it will have to be built some time as it is the only technology that can do the heavy lifting Australia will need into the future, the head of a small ISP claims.
Damian Ivereigh, chief executive of Launtel, a Launceston-based provider, said in a blog post that the Australian Government was prepared to spend $50 billion on 12 submarines that would probably be obsolete by the time they were built; given this, why could a similar amount not be spent on infrastructure that would be a vital part of Australia's economic future?
Ironically, the subs would become obsolete partly due to the fact that they would use similar signal processing technology to that used for the fibre-to-the-node connections which the NBN Co is providing for a majority of the populace, he pointed out.
Ivereigh said he did not care which political party was willing to build a proper fibre network that guaranteed Australia's future."As with our 100% reliance on electrical power, in the same way, our economic future is increasingly dependent on the Internet," he said. "Do [Malcolm] Turnbull, [Tony] Abbott or any of us really believe that in 10 years’ time we’re going to need less of the Internet in our daily lives?
"Are we going to wake up in 10 years and say 'Thank heavens Turnbull and Abbott didn’t spend all that money on the NBN. That would have been such a waste of money. Clearly the Internet was just a fad anyway'?"
While 5G would definitely help in improving the broadband speeds, Ivereigh said it would only make a dent. "A fixed-line pure fibre network is the only technology that comes even close to being able to do the heavy lifting we will need."
He blamed Turnbull for the NBN fiasco, saying he was the one who had agreed to Abbott's desire to "bury the NBN' and brought about the "complete neutering and bastardisation of the original NBN vision".
When construction of the NBN was begun in 2009, the Labor Party was in office and it envisaged fibre being rolled out to the premises for 93% of the populace, with the remaining 7% to be supplied with connectivity through either fixed wireless or satellite.
The rollout became a political issue when the Coalition Government that took power in 2013 decided to change the technology of the network to what it called a multi-technology mix.
The MTM includes fibre-to-the-node, HFC cable, satellite, and wireless, apart from fibre-to-the-premises which is being provided only to new dwellings.
As the MTM plan and the connections provided have come under increasing criticism, fibre-to-the-distribution-point, which considerably reduces the copper lead-in to premises ― what the network builder NBN Co calls fibre-to-the-curb ― has been introduced as well.
"The political arguments about whether Australia needs gigabit Internet is, and always has been, completely irrelevant," Ivereigh said. "What Australia needed (and still needs) is infrastructure that delivers Internet fast enough and reliable enough for us to forget about our Internet connection. We should treat it like water and power trusted infrastructure that is just there and never gets in our way."47 REASONS TO ATTEND YOW! 2018
With 4 keynotes + 33 talks + 10 in-depth workshops from world-class speakers, YOW! is your chance to learn more about the latest software trends, practices and technologies and interact with many of the people who created them.
Speakers this year include Anita Sengupta (Rocket Scientist and Sr. VP Engineering at Hyperloop One), Brendan Gregg (Sr. Performance Architect Netflix), Jessica Kerr (Developer, Speaker, Writer and Lead Engineer at Atomist) and Kent Beck (Author Extreme Programming, Test Driven Development).YOW! 2018 is a great place to network with the best and brightest software developers in Australia. You’ll
be amazed by the great ideas (and perhaps great talent) you’ll take back to the office!
Register now for YOW! Conference
Sydney 29-30 November
Brisbane 3-4 December
Melbourne 6-7 December
Register now for YOW! Workshops
Sydney 27-28 November
Melbourne 4-5 December
REGISTER NOW!LEARN HOW TO REDUCE YOUR RISK OF A CYBER ATTACK
Australia is a cyber espionage hot spot.
As we automate, script and move to the cloud, more and more businesses are reliant on infrastructure that has the high potential to be exposed to risk.
It only takes one awry email to expose an accounts’ payable process, and for cyber attackers to cost a business thousands of dollars.
In the free white paper ‘6 Steps to Improve your Business Cyber Security’ you’ll learn some simple steps you should be taking to prevent devastating and malicious cyber attacks from destroying your business.
Cyber security can no longer be ignored, in this white paper you’ll learn:
How does business security get breached?
What can it cost to get it wrong?
6 actionable tips